Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Getting Children Into Reading

With children of all ages, learning is better achieved when there is some fun to be had. Reading activities are one way that parents and teachers can encourage reading.
Some activities that I used with my teens were to give them an incentive to read. I promised a trip to a movie, a day off from chores around the house, and even that special dessert that was made just for me.

My youngest son reads with me all the time. While we drive he reads the signs that we pass. As we walk he reads the numbers on the houses and the street signs. My two year old has even gotten into the game of reading as we travel so she is constantly asking me "what does that say, Mom?" In my attempt to involve the entire family in a reading activity, I made mandatory reading time every night. No television, music, or any other distractors allowed. We all sit with a book or magazine or newspaper and spend time reading.

I ask my child simple questions, such as: How did you like the book? Who was your favorite character? Did you like how it ended? Would you like to read it again?
Normally, this is when my daughter wants to re-read the same book again!
I never mind reading the same book for them many times over because I realize the more they hear the words the more they will stay in their brains. My 6 year old recalls masses of information because he listens intently when I read to him. He makes my heart fill with joy when he comes home and reads a poem to me he received in school. It really makes a Mom proud!

Check out these articles I found that may be of interest.
http://childcare.about.com/od/volunteerism/a/summerreading.htm

http://www.faithstreams.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?&nm=Get+the+News&type=news&mod=New
This second article relates to animals and reading. Wow

No comments: