Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Reading is Fundamental TODAY and ALWAYS

As a parent of children ranging in age from 2 to 17, I have spent alot of time reading to them for years. I have learned from parenting experts, reading is fundamental to the growth and development of the young mind. So, I have a question? Why, after years of reading to them, do I have to nearly pull my teenaged sons teeth out of their mouth in order to get them to read for me every night? They have every excuse in the world to avoid reading. Here are a few popular ones:
I read all day at school.
I don't like to read.
I'm not interested in anything that I have to read.
I don't need to read.

The list goes on. Does anyone have similar experiences that can lend assistance to a desperate mom?
Well,
I have an idea. I will go back and review several books that I have in my collection and we will see how much interest is generated. Some books will be informational, some will simply be entertaining. Let's begin with a book about solving real life crimes.
"Fingerprints and Talking Bones, How real-life crimes are solved" is a book by Charlotte Foltz Jones.

This book seems very interesting to me from the start as I am an avid CSI viewer. Such questions as Can a skeleton confess? and Do plants really help nab murderers? will be answered within the pages. Do these sound like things teens might be interested in? Maybe not. However, reading a book such as this will aid in showing them just how vast the knowledge base is for those who do what? READ.

No comments: