Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Interesting History for Kids

After reading the book from cover to cover and having both my sons check it out, I was inspired to find titles that my younger children would be able to enjoy also.

I went to Amazon.com and found several books that I feel are noteworthy. They are:

  • 100 People who are screwing up America by Bernard Goldberg
  • 100 Native Americans who changed American History by Bonnie Juettner

Both are related to the book just reviewed and are available for very reasonable prices at amazon. See the link for a direct connection.

100 People who changed America was a very informative book. I learned some things that I would never have imagined to be true. For example, Bruce Lee, known to his family and friends as Lee Hsiao Lung, made the two-finger push-up famous. Who knew? My son was just attempting that move for me a few nights ago and trust me, he needs Mr. Lee's help! Lee was also the son of a Chinese opera singer and was born in the United States in San Francisco. Fascinating isn't it. Let's see, what else moved me about this book?

Wow, here's some history to remember. Jonas Salk, a doctor at the University of Pittsburgh is to thank for the polio vaccine used to prevent the the crippling and possibly fatal disease. I had never heard of him before but what I find particularly noteworthy is the fact that he never pursued a patent for his product. According to the book, he said he did not want to profit from the vaccine just make it widely available to all in need. Wow, that is a patriot for America!

Lastly, Rachel Carson is definitely a woman to remember. Born in 1907 Ms Carson was both a marine biologist and naturalist. She had a very strong interest in the pesticides being used in our country and wrote a book about it in 1962 called Silent Spring. In the book she noted the dangerous effects of pesticide use on our crops. After the chemical companies got a hold of the book she was called "a hysterical woman" who was unfit to write such a book. Well, they were wrong because we Americans of today consider her the mother of modern environmentalism.
Thanks for noticing Ms Carson!

I do not usually read non fiction work but I am glad I felt compelled to review this one for you guys. I enjoyed it and learned several new things.
As usual, if anyone is interested in the title we just reviewed, contact Baileysbookworm@yahoo.com

No comments: